Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Crockery from the Wea Presbyterian Mission, 14MM322 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These crockery fragments were recovered from the Wea Presbyterian Mission in 1997 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew. All have a salt glaze (produced by adding salt to the kiln during firing) on their exterior. The excavations revealed foundations for the Mission house, a spring house, and an outbuilding in addition to a filled in well. The Wea Mission (1834-1837) changed functions over time: it served as the Osage River Subagency (1837-1844), the Wea and Piankeshaw Baptist Mission (1844-1857) and then had other occupants until 1909 when the house burned.

Date: 1837-1909

Bookbag Share Print

Crockery from the Wea Presbyterian Mission, 14MM322 - 1Crockery from the Wea Presbyterian Mission, 14MM322 - 2

Crockery from the Wea Presbyterian Mission, 14MM322 - 1

Item Number: 509512
Call Number: 14MM322-19 & 14MM322-14-6
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 509512

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.