Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

English Gunflint from the Wells Site, 14BT404 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This gunflint, quarried and manufactured in southern England, was found at the Wells archeological site in Barton County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2021. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol to ignite the gunpowder and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. This gunflint has a single dorsal arris, two planes forming a sharp edge. The village site had an abundance of artifacts that reflect not only a Dismal River aspect occupation (1650 - 1750 CE) but also a historic component.

Date: 1700-1860

Bookbag Share Print

English Gunflint from the Wells Site, 14BT404 - 1English Gunflint from the Wells Site, 14BT404 - 2

English Gunflint from the Wells Site, 14BT404 - 1

Item Number: 509500
Call Number: 14BT404 2021.B.124 7/8" x 3/4"
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 509500

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.