Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Monogrammed Serving Spoon from the Shawnee Methodist Mission, 14JO362 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This serving spoon was recovered from excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew at the Shawnee Indian Mission in Johnson County. The handle is marked with "L W" in cursive on the front and "COWLES CO." on the back. This company, under various names, from East Grandby, Connecticut, manufactured electroplated flatware in the 1840s. The Mission was built in 1839 for the Shawnee Tribe and closed in 1862. The life of the building did not end there. During the Civil War troops were quartered in the Mission, and later it saw use as a dance hall, dairy bottling plant, apartments, and a boarding house until becoming property of the state in 1927.

Date: 1839-1927

Bookbag Share Print

Monogrammed Serving Spoon from the Shawnee Methodist Mission, 14JO362 - 1Monogrammed Serving Spoon from the Shawnee Methodist Mission, 14JO362 - 2Monogrammed Serving Spoon from the Shawnee Methodist Mission, 14JO362 - 3

Monogrammed Serving Spoon from the Shawnee Methodist Mission, 14JO362 - 1

Item Number: 509494
Call Number: 14JO362-0-2
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 509494

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.