Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Buttons from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These buttons were recovered from room 3 at the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. Buttons shown are manufactured of white glass, bone, and rubber in two- and four-hole styles. One button was made by the Novelty Rubber Company. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the grounds of the Kansas Historical Society.

Date: 1850-1861

Bookbag Share Print

Buttons from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 1Buttons from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 2

Buttons from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 1

Item Number: 509468
Call Number: 14SH325
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 509468

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.