Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Shoe Fragments from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These shoe fragments were recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. The shoe fragments may have been from a child's show and each shows five eyelets and the original stitching, though the thread is now missing. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.

Date: 1850-1861

Bookbag Share Print

Shoe Fragments from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 1Shoe Fragments from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 2

Shoe Fragments from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 1

Item Number: 508998
Call Number: 14SH325-5012
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 508998

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.