Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Plumb Half Hatchet from Fort Scott, 14BO302 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This hatchet was recovered from the Fort Scott National Historic Site during excavations conducted there between 1968 through 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. Hatchets are small axes used with a single hand. This example is called a plumb half hatchet and has a poll end for hammering and a notch in the blade for pulling nails. When Fort Scott was built it was on the western military frontier, but is now located within the city limits of Fort Scott.

Date: 1842-1853

Bookbag Share Print

Plumb Half Hatchet from Fort Scott, 14BO302 - 1Plumb Half Hatchet from Fort Scott, 14BO302 - 2

Plumb Half Hatchet from Fort Scott, 14BO302 - 1

Item Number: 508616
Call Number: 14BO302-3684 11 3/8" x 5"
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 508616

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.