Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Pistol Percussion Caps from Fort Zarah, 14BT301 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These brass percussion caps were excavated at Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the site of the original fort building. These caps were used for powder ignition in a cap and ball pistol. By the 1860s and 1870s advances in cartridge design made percussion caps obsolete. The fort was a small military outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County.

Date: 1864-1869

Bookbag Share Print

Pistol Percussion Caps from Fort Zarah, 14BT301 - 1Pistol Percussion Caps from Fort Zarah, 14BT301 - 2

Pistol Percussion Caps from Fort Zarah, 14BT301 - 1

Item Number: 508557
Call Number: 14BT301-1720 Feature 8
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 508557

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.