Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This toothbrush was recovered during excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. The toothbrush has holes drilled in its head for inserting stiff bristles (often hog bristles). The toothbrush was manufactured for B. Altman and Company, a luxury department store chain founded in New York City in 1865. It measures 6 1/2" long by 5/8" wide. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1867-1882

Bookbag Share Print

B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 2B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 3

B. Altman and Company Toothbrush from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1

Item Number: 508427
Call Number: 14EL301-6327
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 508427

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.