Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Modified Mussel Shell from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This mussel shell half was recovered from the Pottawatomi Mission in Shawnee County during excavations by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew in 1975. The hole was cut or drilled into the shell, but it isn't known whether desired result was the shell with a hole in it, or the cut-out portion, which could have been made into a bead or more likely a button. The Mission was built in 1850 with the purpose of teaching Potawatomi children reading, writing, and trade skills. After closing in 1861 the building served multiple purposes. The building and the surrounding land was purchased by the State of Kansas in 1973 and it remains on the site of the Kansas Historical Society.

Date: 1848-1861

Bookbag Share Print

Modified Mussel Shell from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 1Modified Mussel Shell from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 2Modified Mussel Shell from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 3

Modified Mussel Shell from the Pottawatomi Mission, 14SH325 - 1

Item Number: 507231
Call Number: 14SH325-124
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 507231

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.