Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Ammunition from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These seven round pellets and one spent bullet were recovered during excavations at the 2016 and 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field schools at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. The round pellets and bullet were made of soft lead that was melted and poured into molds. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Date: 1840-1870

Bookbag Share Print

Ammunition from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Ammunition from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2

Ammunition from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 506236
Call Number: 14MO368
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 506236

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.