Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Trade Beads from Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These trade beads were recovered during excavations at the 2016 and 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field schools at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. Shown are blue, amber, and white glass trade beads in round, faceted, and oblong shapes. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.

Date: 1840-1870

Bookbag Share Print

Trade Beads from Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Trade Beads from Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2

Trade Beads from Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 506234
Call Number: 14MO368
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 506234

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.