Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Writing Implements from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These slate board fragments, slate pencil stubs, and pen clips were recovered during the excavations at the Kaw Mission State Historic Site in Council Grove in 2016 and 2018. The site was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Date: 1851-1950

Bookbag Share Print

Writing Implements from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Writing Implements from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2

Writing Implements from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 506232
Call Number: 14MO368
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 506232

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.