Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Decorated Dishes from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These dish sherds were recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove. The dishes are decorated in a variety of patterns including hand painting, transfer printing, and a transfer printing that was deliberately blurred, a hallmark of flow blue patterns. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the State of Kansas in 1951 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Date: 1851-1900

Bookbag Share Print

Decorated Dishes from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Decorated Dishes from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2

Decorated Dishes from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 505727
Call Number: 14MO368
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 505727

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.