Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Transferware Dish Sherds from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These small dish fragments were recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Kaw Mission. They are decorated landscape and floral patterns by transfer printing, a process by which a design is transferred from an engraved metal plate onto the pottery, creating a ware called transferware. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.

Date: 1851-1930

Bookbag Share Print

Transferware Dish Sherds from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Transferware Dish Sherds from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2

Transferware Dish Sherds from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 505686
Call Number: 14MO368
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 505686

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.