Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Moveable Type from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These moveable type pieces were recovered from the Kaw Mission State Historic Site in 2016 and 2018. The type was used in a printing press. The pieces are made of an alloy of lead, tin, and antimony called type metal. Moveable type printing was replaced by hot metal typesetting in the late 19th century. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and it was listed in 1971 to the National Register of Historic Places.

Date: 1850-1900

Bookbag Share Print

Moveable Type from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Moveable Type from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2

Moveable Type from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 505677
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 505677

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.