Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Yellow Ware Sherds from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These small dish sherds were recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. These sherds are made of a variety of yellow ware called Rockingham or Bennington. The two lead-glazed styles are very similar and it often is difficult to distinguish between styles. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.

Date: 1854-1940

Bookbag Share Print

Yellow Ware Sherds from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Yellow Ware Sherds from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2

Yellow Ware Sherds from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 505675
Call Number: 14MO368
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 505675

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.