Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Egg Cups from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These egg cup fragments were recovered during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. An egg cup is used to hold boiled eggs, still in their shells, for eating. The ones shown here are glass or ceramic with a variety of decorations. These egg cups are evidence that early ranch life was not always rough and utilitarian and that the Pratt's enjoyed some luxuries. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1878-1978

Bookbag Share Print

Egg Cups from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1Egg Cups from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 2

Egg Cups from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1

Item Number: 474362
Call Number: 14SD327
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 474362

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.