Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Dishes from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These dish fragments were recovered during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. Shown are fragments of cups, dish, and creamer fragments. Two sherds are decorated with an annual ware style, with concentric lines around the vessel edge. Four sherds have hand painted floral designs, common throughout the 18th- and 19th-centuries. Three sherds are transfer decorated, where the pattern is printed on paper and placed on the dish. During firing of the piece the paper is burned away, but the pattern remains. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1878-1978

Bookbag Share Print

Dishes from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1Dishes from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 2

Dishes from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1

Item Number: 474342
Call Number: 14SD327
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 474342

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.