Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Candy Dish from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These candy dish fragments were recovered in during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The dish was reconstructed and archeologists were able to identify the material as slag glass, an opaque pressed glass with a swirling color pattern. Purple and white swirls, like the one on this candy dish, were the most popular color. The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1878-1900

Bookbag Share Print

Candy Dish from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1Candy Dish from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 2Candy Dish from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 3Candy Dish from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 4

Candy Dish from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1

Item Number: 473840
Call Number: 14SD327
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 473840

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.