Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

1876 Liberty Quarter from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This seated Liberty quarter was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavation at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. On the obverse side of the quarter Liberty is seated on a rock holding a liberty pole, resting her hand on a shield and surrounded above by 13 stars. On the reverse side is an eagle with a ribbon with the words "IN GOD WE TRUST" on it. An olive branch and arrows are positioned in the eagle's talons and there is a shield on its breast. The quarter was minted in 1876 in Carson City, Nevada. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1876-1889

Bookbag Share Print

1876 Liberty Quarter from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 11876 Liberty Quarter from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 2

1876 Liberty Quarter from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1

Item Number: 473834
Call Number: 14EL301-15641
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 473834

Copyright © 2007-2022 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.