Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Carter's Ink Bottle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This brown glass ink bottle was recovered during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The ink bottle has a conical body, tooled double ring finish, and traces of a paper label. Embossed on the bottle bottom is the bottle mold number and "CARTER'S," indicating it was manufactured for the Carter Ink Company (1858-1976). The ranch was established by Abraham Pratt, from Yorkshire, England, in 1878 to raise sheep. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1890-1920

Bookbag Share Print

Carter's Ink Bottle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1Carter's Ink Bottle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 2Carter's Ink Bottle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 3

Carter's Ink Bottle from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1

Item Number: 473812
Call Number: 14SD327-142-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 473812

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.