Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Flintlock Hammer from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This flintlock hammer was recovered at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation (occupied 1839-1870) and was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The hammer, or mechanism as it is sometimes called, was used for flintlock muskets, pistols, and rifles. The hammer is pulled back into a cocked position, then when released, it moves the gunflint, held in the hammer jaws, down to create a spark which ignites the gunpowder. The hammer was cleaned by electrolysis, which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.

Date: 1847-1872

Bookbag Share Print

Flintlock Hammer from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 1Flintlock Hammer from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 2

Flintlock Hammer from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 1

Item Number: 473802
Call Number: 14NO396 1994.B Shaw donation
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 473802

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.