Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Western Bit from the Goddnow House, 14RY378 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This bit was recovered from excavations at the Goodnow House in Manhattan, Kansas. This western bit has a U-shaped bar called the port and the partial shanks are called cavalry or S-shaped shanks. This style of bit is good for reining and roping. The bit was cleaned by electrolysis which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. The Goodnow House was built in 1861 by Issac and Ellen Goodnow and reflects late 1800s farmstead life. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1861-1900

Bookbag Share Print

Western Bit from the Goddnow House, 14RY378 - 1Western Bit from the Goddnow House, 14RY378 - 2

Western Bit from the Goddnow House, 14RY378 - 1

Item Number: 473397
Call Number: 14RY378-272
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 473397

Copyright © 2007-2024 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.