Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Ornamental Pieces from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These ornamental pieces may have once decorated luggage or a trunk. They were recovered during the 2002 Kansas Archeology Training Program field school at the Cottonwood Ranch in Sheridan County. The round brass piece has a floral decoration with a raised boss in the center and a series of dots and lines around the edge. The iron Fleur de Lis piece has three holes used for attachment. The sheep ranch was established by Abraham Pratt, from Yorkshire, England, in 1878. Pratt's son, John Fenton Pratt and his family continued to raise sheep at the ranch until 1904. Cottonwood Ranch is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Date: 1888-1978

Bookbag Share Print

Ornamental Pieces from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1Ornamental Pieces from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 2

Ornamental Pieces from Cottonwood Ranch, 14SD327 - 1

Item Number: 473175
Call Number: 14SD327-5 & 14SD327-6-5
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 473175

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.