Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These pipe stem and bowl fragments were recovered from Fort Zarah in 1972 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists at the location of the original fort building. The top row shows three glazed pipe bowls. The upper right pipe bowl is a fragment of a Presidential pipe. Based on the remnant of hair and right eye it depicts President Ulysses S. Grant and was made and distributed from 1865 to 1870. The bottom row shows an unglazed bowl, a decorated bowl and stem fragment, and a stem fragment. Fort Zarah was a small outpost on the Santa Fe trail in Barton County occupied from 1864 to 1869.

Date: 1864-1869

Bookbag Share Print

Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301 - 1Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301 - 2

Ceramic Pipe Fragments from Fort Zarah, 14BT301 - 1

Item Number: 457491
Call Number: 14BT301
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 457491

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.