Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Clay Pipe Fragments from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These pipe stem and bowl fragments were recovered from Constitution Hall in Lecompton. Different colored clays were used to make the pipes. One pipe bowl had a red glaze applied before firing. Constitution Hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historical Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation. The Hall was designated a National Historical Landmark and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution.

Date: 1856-1900

Bookbag Share Print

Clay Pipe Fragments from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 1Clay Pipe Fragments from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 2

Clay Pipe Fragments from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 1

Item Number: 457381
Call Number: 14DO321
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 457381

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.