Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Dish Sherds with Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These five dish sherds all have portions of maker's marks still visible on the base. The top left sherd advertises the T. & R. BOOTE'S pottery of Burslem, England, in operation from 1872 to 1876. The top right sherd advertises the Bridgewood and Son pottery of Longton, England, in operation since 1885. The bottom left sherd displays the partial mark of Thomas Hughes and Son, Ltd, of Longport, England, in a style used from 1930 to 1935. The bottom center sherd was manufactured by the J. and E. Mayer Potteries of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, in operation from 1881 to 1964. The bottom right sherd bears the maker's mark of the George Jones pottery of Stoke, England, used between 1861 and 1967. These five shreds were recovered at Constitution Hall, in Lecompton, constructed in 1855 and functioning in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace the building's construction history prior to renovation.

Date: 1861-1967

Bookbag Share Print

Dish Sherds with Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 1Dish Sherds with Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 2

Dish Sherds with Maker's Marks from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 1

Item Number: 457191
Call Number: 14DO321
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 457191

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.