Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Dishes from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These tea cup and dish sherds were recovered from excavations at Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including glass dish sherds with swirled patterns and whiteware dish sherds with solid colors, hand painted, and decorated by transfer printing, called transferware. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.

Date: 1855-1970

Bookbag Share Print

Dishes from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 1Dishes from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 2

Dishes from Constitution Hall, 14DO321 - 1

Item Number: 456743
Call Number: 14DO321
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 456743

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.