Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These six dish sherds were excavated at Constitution Hall, in Lecompton. A wide variety of patterns were recovered from the site including dish sherds with gold bands near the rim, hand painted sherds, two different molded patterns and sherds that were decorated by transfer printing, called transferware. The building was named a National Historical Landmark for its role in the 1857 Lecompton Constitution and is also listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The hall was constructed in 1855 and functioned in a variety of different roles. In the summer and fall of 1988 Kansas Historic Society archeologists excavated at the site, trying to trace construction history prior to renovation.

Date: 1855-1950

Bookbag Share Print

Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321 - 1Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321 - 2

Dishes from Constitution Hall State Historic Site, 14DO321 - 1

Item Number: 456742
Call Number: 14DO321
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 456742

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.