Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Mouth Harp from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This mouth harp was recovered by Kansas Historical Society archeologists during excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County. Mouth harps are also called Jew's harps, Ozark harps, or even juice harps. They are a musical instrument played by plucking the reed (these are both missing their center reeds) when the instrument is placed in the mouth. The frame acts as a resonator. Its dimensions are 2 3/8" x 1 7/8." Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1867-1882

Bookbag Share Print

Mouth Harp from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1Mouth Harp from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 2

Mouth Harp from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1

Item Number: 455852
Call Number: 14EL301 Dump #1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 455852

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.