Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Buttons from the Wea Mission, 14MM322 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These buttons were recovered from the Wea Presbyterian Mission in 1997 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew. The excavations revealed foundations for the Mission house, a spring house, and an outbuilding in addition to a filled in well. The Wea Mission (1834-1837) changed functions over time: the Osage River Subagency (1837-1844), the Wea and Piankeshaw Baptist Mission (1844-1857) and other occupants until 1909 when the house burned. The three buttons are all 4-hole sew through buttons, one each of metal, wood, and rubber.

Date: 1837-1857

Bookbag Share Print

Buttons from the Wea Mission, 14MM322 - 1Buttons from the Wea Mission, 14MM322 - 2

Buttons from the Wea Mission, 14MM322 - 1

Item Number: 455218
Call Number: 14MM322
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 455218

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.