Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Gravers from the Paint Creek Site, 14MP1 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These three gravers, sometimes called perforators, were collected at the Paint Creek village site in McPherson County, Kansas. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1971. Gravers are a chipped stone tool with a sharp point used to cut softer materials than the stone. These were made on scrapers, originally used to scrape hides. The Paint Creek site is what archeologists call part of the Little River focus of the Great Bend aspect (ancestral Wichita), whose people practiced fishing, hunting, gathering, and agriculture.

Date: 1500-1800 CE

Bookbag Share Print

Gravers from the Paint Creek Site, 14MP1 - 1Gravers from the Paint Creek Site, 14MP1 - 2

Gravers from the Paint Creek Site, 14MP1 - 1

Item Number: 454247
Call Number: 14MP1 71.138 Whiteford donation
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 454247

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.