Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

English Gunflint from the Wea Mission, 14MM322 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This gunflint was recovered from the Wea Presbyterian Mission in 1997 by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and crew. The gunflint, quarried and manufactured in southern England, and has a single dorsal arris. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. The excavations at the site revealed foundations for the Mission house, a spring house, and an outbuilding in addition to a filled in well. The Wea Mission (1834-1837) changed functions over time: the Osage River Subagency (1837-1844), the Wea and Piankeshaw Baptist Mission (1844-1857) and other occupants until 1909 when the house burned.

Date: 1837-1857

Bookbag Share Print

English Gunflint from the Wea Mission, 14MM322 - 1English Gunflint from the Wea Mission, 14MM322 - 2

English Gunflint from the Wea Mission, 14MM322 - 1

Item Number: 453631
Call Number: 14MM322-40-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 453631

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.