Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Appointments  Federal - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This folder on Appointments Federal comes from the Correspondence series of the Governor Thomas Carney Papers. Thomas Carney was Kansas' second state Governor, serving from 1863 to 1865. He was born near Tipton, Delaware County, Ohio in 1824 and came to Kansas in search of better health care and new business opportunities. Thomas Carney and his business partner Thomas C. Stevens were the first to open a wholesale house in Leavenworth, Kansas. This file contains letters from potential prospects written to the governor concerning open appointments. There are also letters written to the governor from individuals on behalf of another person, recommending them for a position. First, is a letter from C K Holliday requesting the appointment of Governor of Dakota Territory. There is also a follow-up letter from C K Holliday again calling the governor's attention to appointing him the position as Governor of Dakota Territory. Next, is a letter from H. W. Martin requesting a position for Dr. Fletcher, that does not require him to go into the army.

Creator: Kansas. Governor (1863-1865 : Carney)
Date: 1863

Bookbag Share Print

Appointments  Federal - 1Appointments  Federal - 2Appointments  Federal - 3Appointments  Federal - 4Appointments  Federal - 5Appointments  Federal - 6Appointments  Federal - 7Appointments  Federal - 8Appointments  Federal - 9Appointments  Federal - 10Appointments  Federal - 11Appointments  Federal - 12

Appointments Federal - 1

Item Number: 453558
Call Number: Governor's Office, Governor Thomas Carney, Correspondence Files, Letters and other items received, Box 1 Folder 2
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 453558

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.