Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Commissary and pest house, Fort Hays, Kansas - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These two photographs represent the commissary warehouse and pest house at Fort Hays, Kansas. A commissary is a building used as a general store and serves food. The pest house, which may have been it's more commonly referred name as compared to the hospital, was located on the south side of the Fort and later moved to the north side. In 1904, part of the pest house, was moved to the Fort Hays State University campus. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Date: 1873

Bookbag Share Print

Commissary and pest house, Fort Hays, Kansas - 1Commissary and pest house, Fort Hays, Kansas - 2

Commissary and pest house, Fort Hays, Kansas - 1

Item Number: 453478
Call Number: FK2.E3 F.7 *5-6
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 453478

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.