Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This glass button with a loop style back was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program Field School at the Kaw Mission. The front of the button has a blackberry-like decoration with half ovals around the rim. The button back retains partially readable information about the patent date: "PAT'D -U- 28, 18--." The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.

Date: 1851-1899

Bookbag Share Print

Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 3

Fancy Button from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 451586
Call Number: 14MO368-855-32
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 451586

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.