Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This small souvenir spoon was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The spoon has "HELENA MONT" etched into the front of the bowl. On the back are the sterling silver marks for Gorham Silver (later Gorham Manufacturing Co.) of Rhode Island and New York in addition to the word "COPYRIGHTED." Also on the back are the etched initials "AGH," thought to be those of Anna Goddard Huffaker (Mrs. Homer Carpenter). Anna was the daughter of Eliza Ann Baker Huffaker and Thomas Sears Huffaker, director of school at the Kaw Mission. In 1891 she attended the wedding of her brother in Helena, Montana. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.

Date: 1891

Bookbag Share Print

Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 2Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 3Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 4Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 5

Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368 - 1

Item Number: 450952
Call Number: 14MO368-1324-1
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 450952

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.