Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Cap Box from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This brass cap box may have been used for holding percussion caps. It was recovered from excavations at historic Fort Hays by Kansas Historical Society archeologists. By the late 1860s, percussion cap ammunition was commonly superseded by breech loading metallic cartridges. Perhaps this small brass case was just to good to throw away? Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1867-1889

Bookbag Share Print

Cap Box from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1Cap Box from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 2Cap Box from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 3Cap Box from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 4

Cap Box from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1

Item Number: 450620
Call Number: 14EL301-4947 Feature 202
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 450620

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.