Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Keys from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These four brass keys were among the many that were recovered during excavations at historic Fort Hays in Ellis County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists in 1966. A key consists of a bow (the portion which is gripped and turned) and a blade (which slides into a keyway, also called a key hole). Some of these keys were painted with green paint at one time. Fort Hays was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and is a State Historic Site.

Date: 1867-1889

Bookbag Share Print

Keys from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1Keys from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 2

Keys from Fort Hays, 14EL301 - 1

Item Number: 449440
Call Number: 14EL301
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 449440

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.