Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Marbles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

These three marbles were recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and Kansas Anthropological Association volunteers. Two marbles are made of unglazed German hand-painted porcelain. One has black lines quartering it, and the other has a blue floral motif. The other is a ceramic marble that has Bennington style decoration. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.

Date: 1845-1905

Bookbag Share Print

Marbles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384 - 1Marbles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384 - 2

Marbles from the Iowa and Sac and Fox Mission, 14DP384 - 1

Item Number: 449266
Call Number: 14DP384-56 & 14DP384-223-2
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 449266

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.