Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society


To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This bottle was recovered from an excavation at the Iowa Sac and Fox Mission in Doniphan County. The aqua bottle has the lettering "WAKEFIELD'S EGYPTIAN LINIMENT," a liniment manufactured by Dr. C. Wakefield of Bloomington, Illinois. According to Wakefield's Guide the liniment was used "as a Pain Killer, for Rheumatism, Cramp, Numbness of Flesh, Cold Skin, Stiff Joints, Earache, Backache, Contracted Leaders, etc.…" The liniment was also useful for curing "Swelling, Sprains, Spavin, Sweeny, etc.…" in horses. The Presbyterian Mission was built in 1845 and closed in 1863. After that part of the building was razed, the rest was used as a residence until 1905. The State of Kansas acquired to property in 1941.

Date: 1846-1905

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 448032
Call Number: 14DP384-196
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 448032

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.