Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

Shown are six gunflints of the many that were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These six gunflints were made from local cherts. Left to right they show three square gunflint each with a single dorsal arris, a square gunflints with two dorsal arrises, and two small square gunflints, possibly used with a pistol or as strike-a-lights. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.

Date: 1847-1852

Bookbag Share Print

Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 1Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 2Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 3Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 4

Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 1

Item Number: 440179
Call Number: 14NO396 1994.B.5027; .5028; .5019; .5052; .5043; .5044
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 440179

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.