Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Earring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at KSHS.reference@ks.gov or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.


For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

This metal (possibly lead) earring was recovered from the Canville Trading Post located near the Osage Reservation in Neosho County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The earring is similar to a ball and cone type, which were a common trade item in the 19th century. There are two small holes near base of the earring. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.

Date: 1847-1872

Bookbag Share Print

Earring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 1Earring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 2Earring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 3

Earring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396 - 1

Item Number: 315926
Call Number: 14NO396 1994.B.5897
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 315926

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.