Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Major General Hines - Page

To order images and/or obtain permission to use them commercially, please contact the KSHS Reference Desk at reference@kshs.org or 785-272-8681, ext. 117.

For more information see the Copyright and Permission FAQ.

Captain Hughes photographed these officers and some other gentlemen standing on a field presumably at Camp Holabird, Maryland. Major General John L. Hines is the officer with the cigar. The date and exact location is not known but they may be preparing for a review and presentation ceremony. Hines commanded both the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, and 4th Division during World War I. He also participated in the Army of Occupation after the war. Captain Hughes had returned from duty with the Army of Occupation and was assigned to Camp Holabird, Maryland. February 14, 1920, six months after reporting to Camp Holabird and the Motor Transport School, Hughes left the camp for another assignment. James C. Hughes, as part of the 35th Division, left Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and traveled to Hoboken, New Jersey, where he boarded the troop ship "Ceramic" on May 18, 1918. Hughes arrived in Liverpool, England, on June 1, 1918 and then landed at Le Havre, France, on June 9, 1918. Hughes fought in the battles of St. Michael and the Meuse-Argonne. He was at Verdun on Armistice Day, November 11, 1918. He took no photos of the actual fighting. He did take many photographs after the war as part of the Army of Occupation until he left France on July 18, 1919. A full biography of James Clark Hughes is available at the link below to Kansapedia.

Creator: Hughes, James Clark, 1888-1964
Date: [Date Unknown]

Bookbag Share Print

Item Number: 314950
Call Number: James C. Hughes Collection, negative 362A
KSHS Identifier: DaRT ID: 314950

Copyright © 2007-2018 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.