Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1900s (3)
1910s (3)
1920s (1)
1930s (4)
1940s (2)
1950s (2)
1960s (1)
1970s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Omar Hawkins photograph collection Omar Hawkins photograph collection

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 627,122
Bookbag items: 37,105
Registered users: 11,228

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 12

Category Filters

Home and Family - Residences - Interiors - Kitchens

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 12 of 12 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Bernice Hanson at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Bernice Hanson at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1950
This is a photograph of Bernice Hanson cooking in the kitchen at Grinter Place. She and her husband Harry Hanson purchased Grinter Place, located in Wyandotte County, Kansas, from Reverend Henry C. and Martha V. Grinter Kirby's daughter in 1950. The Hansons owned and operated a chicken dinner restaurant on the site until the mid-1960s. Built in 1857, Grinter Place is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. It is a two-story brick house built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Churning butter

Churning butter
Creator: United States. Works Progress Administration
Date: Between 1935 and 1943
A woman seated in a kitchen churning butter. This activity was part of the Works Progress Administration's adult and worker education program. Visible in the background is a stove.


East Building, Shawnee Indian Mission

East Building, Shawnee Indian Mission
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society
Date: 1977
This set of photographs represent different rooms inside the East Building at the Shawnee Indian Mission in Fairway, Kansas. Rooms included in the photographs is a bedroom, attic, church and living room with a vareity of fireplaces. In 1968, the Shawnee Indian Mission was declared a National Historic Landmark and has since been under the operation of the Kansas Historical Society.


Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Creator: Kansas State Historical Society. Library and Archives Division
Date: 1968
This is an interior view of the kitchen at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Built in 1857, it is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. Grinter Place, a two-story brick house, was built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post, that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now the Kansas Historical Society administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Housekeeping aides, Topeka, Kansas

Housekeeping aides, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: United States. Works Progress Administration
Date: Between 1935 and 1943
Photo of two African American women preparing food in Topeka, Kansas, as part of the Works Progress Administration's domestic science and foods project.


Kitchen stove, Tribune, Greeley County, Kansas

Kitchen stove, Tribune, Greeley County, Kansas
Date: Between 1920 and 1930
View of a kitchen stove in an unidentified farmhouse, Tribune, Greeley County, Kansas.


Kitchen stove, Tribune, Greeley County, Kansas

Kitchen stove, Tribune, Greeley County, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1910
A kitchen stove in an unidentified home in Tribune, Greeley County, Kansas.


Kitchen workers, Topeka State Hospital

Kitchen workers, Topeka State Hospital
Date: Between 1900 and 1920
A view of kitchen workers at the Topeka State Hospital in Shawnee County, Kansas.


L. W. Halbe collection

L. W. Halbe collection
Creator: Halbe, L. W. (Leslie Winfield), 1893-1981
Date: 1908-1912
The L. W. (Leslie Winfield) Halbe photo collection consists of 1500 glass plate negatives produced by Halbe during his teenage years. Halbe lived in Dorrance, Russell County, Kansas, and began taking photographs of the region with an inexpensive Sears and Roebuck camera when he was fifteen years old.


Ruth Royer Smith and Stephen Eugene Smith

Ruth Royer Smith and Stephen Eugene Smith
Date: 1936
A photograph showing Ruth Royer Smith and her son Stephen Eugene Smith in the kitchen of their home at 1413 Eugene, Topeka, Kansas.


Shawnee Indian Mission, Fairway, Kansas

Shawnee Indian Mission, Fairway, Kansas
Date: 1939
This photograph represents the Daughters of 1812 room and Colonial kitchen after being remodeled in 1939. The room is located in the East building of the Shawnee Indian Mission on the first floor in Fairway, Kansas. In 1968, the Shawnee Indian Mission was declared a National Historic Landmark and has since been under the operation of the Kansas Historical Society.


Smoky Valley Electric Cooperative in Lindsborg, Kansas

Smoky Valley Electric Cooperative in Lindsborg, Kansas
Creator: Stout, V. Ellis
Date: January 1954
Here are ten photographs of the Smoky Valley Rural Electric Cooperative in Lindsborg, Kansas. They were taken during a demonstration of an all electric kitchen. In 1991, Smoky Valley Electric Cooperative, merged with DS&O.


Showing 1 - 12

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.