Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Dining Room and Parlor Chapel, Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas. Dining Room and Parlor Chapel, Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas.

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 731,157
Bookbag items: 37,835
Registered users: 11,609

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 4

Category Filters

Home and Family - Residences - Interiors - Entryways/halls

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 4 of 4 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Christmas at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas

Christmas at Grinter Place, Wyandotte County, Kansas
Date: 1950
This photograph of the first floor center hall at Grinter Place shows children with Santa Claus. Harry and Bernice Hanson purchased Grinter Place, located in Wyandotte County, Kansas, from Reverend Henry C. and Martha V. Grinter Kirby's daughter in 1950. The Hansons owned and operated a chicken-dinner restaurant on the site until the mid-1960s. Built in 1857, Grinter Place is the oldest home in Wyandotte County and overlooks the historic Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River. It is a two-story brick house built and owned by Moses and Annie Grinter. He operated a ferry across the Kansas River and from 1855 to 1860, Grinter owned a trading post that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods including clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas, and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.


Hall at 305 Greenwood, Topeka

Hall at 305 Greenwood, Topeka
Creator: Hughes, James Clark, 1888-1964
Date: July 19, 1917
Photograph represents a hall at the home of James White Frierson Hughes in Potwin, Topeka, Kansas. James White Frierson Hughes was called by Governor Lewellen to lead the National Guard to maintain order at the Kansas Capitol during the Legislative War of 1893; and the Father of James Clark Hughes who served in World War I, World War II and spent 41 months in Japanese Prisoner of War camps until 1945.


Interior of the H. A. Dunn residence

Interior of the H. A. Dunn residence
Date: Between 1890 and 1910
These two interior photographs show the entry and hall areas of the H. A. Dunn residence located at Sixth and Cedar in Ottawa, Kansas. Donated by the Franklin County Historical Society.


Interior views of the early Menninger Sanitarium in  Topeka, Kansas

Interior views of the early Menninger Sanitarium in Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Wolfe Commercial Photo Service
Date: 1925-1929
These black and white photographs show the rooms in the first Menninger Sanitarium, a former farmhouse, purchased in 1925 by the Menninger Sanitarium Corporation. A major contribution of the Menningers was that at a time when custodial care or the asylum were the only alternatives for the mentally ill, they brought a positive commitment to psychiatry. The farmhouse became the clinic and the surrounding 20 acres were developed with buildings and gardens over the next years to become the "East Campus" of the Menninger Foundation. In 1985, the "West Campus", a much larger area, was developed west of Topeka. In 2003, the Menninger Foundation moved to Houston, Texas.


Showing 1 - 4

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.