Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Cyrus Kurtz Holliday Cyrus Kurtz Holliday

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 734,162
Bookbag items: 39,218
Registered users: 12,009

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 17

Category Filters

Places - Indian reservations - Osage

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 17 of 17 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


1856 One-Cent Coin from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

1856 One-Cent Coin from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1856-1872
This one-cent coin was found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation and was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The obverse of the coin shows Liberty with braided hair surrounded by stars and the date 1856. The reverse side shows an oak leaf wreath surrounding the words "ONE CENT." Large one-cent coins were discontinued in 1857 and replaced with smaller one-cent coins of the size we use today. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Buckle from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Buckle from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
This cuprous (contains copper) buckle was found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The centerbar buckle is decorated with a floral motif and would have been quite a fancy buckle when new and shiny. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Buttons from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Buttons from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
An assortment of buttons were found at the Canville Trading Post site, 14NO396, in Neosho County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. They include both fancy and plain buttons made from glass, shell, bone, jet, and brass. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Earring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Earring from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
This metal (possibly lead) earring was recovered from the Canville Trading Post located near the Osage Reservation in Neosho County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The earring is similar to a ball and cone type, which were a common trade item in the 19th century. There are two small holes near base of the earring. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


English Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

English Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1852
Shown are five gunflints of the many that were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol to ignite the gunpowder and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These five gunflints were all quarried and manufactured in southern England. Left to right they show a square gunflint with two dorsal arrises and cortex; a square gunflint with two dorsal arrises; a square gunflint with one dorsal arris; and two small square gunflints both with two dorsal arrises, possibly used with a pistol or as strike-a-lights. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


French Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

French Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1852
Shown are six gunflints of the many that were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol to ignite the gunpowder and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These six gunflints were all quarried and manufactured in France, as is indicated by their honey-yellow or blonde color. Left to right they show two square gunflint with two dorsal arrises, two somewhat "D" shaped gunflints, and two small square gunflints, possibly used with a pistol or as strike-a-lights. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Gunflints from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1852
Shown are six gunflints of the many that were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Gunflints were used to generate a spark in a flintlock musket or pistol to ignite the gunpowder and as strike-a-lights for lighting a fire. These six gunflints were made from local cherts. Left to right they show three square gunflint each with a single dorsal arris, a square gunflints with two dorsal arrises, and two small square gunflints, possibly used with a pistol or as strike-a-lights. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


John C. McCoy to Franklin G. Adams

John C. McCoy to Franklin G. Adams
Creator: McCoy, John Calvin, 1811-1889
Date: February 09, 1885
In this item, from John C. McCoy to Franklin G. Adams of the Kansas State Historical Society, McCoy discusses his early experiences in Kansas. McCoy, who came to Kansas City in 1830 to perform missionary work with his father Isaac McCoy and mother Christiana McCoy, was an active figure throughout Kansas from 1830 until his death in 1889. In this letter to Adams, McCoy relates the details of people he came into contact with, including a number of Native Americans.


L.B. Meeker farm home, Neosho County, Kansas

L.B. Meeker farm home, Neosho County, Kansas
Date: 1935
This is a photograph of the two-story farm house of L. B. Meeker, which may have been built on the site of White Hair's Village in Neosho County, Kansas. White Hair of the Great Osage Tribe built a village around 1815 on the west side of the Neosho River, south of present-day Shaw, Kansas, that was mentioned by Colonel George Sibley.


Orville Hickman Browning to the Commissioner of the General Land Office

Orville Hickman Browning to the Commissioner of the General Land Office
Creator: Browning, Orville Hickman, 1806-1881
Date: August 16, 1867
In this letter to the Commissioner of the General Land Office, Orville H. Browning discussed the Osage Catholic Mission lands in Kansas. Specifically, Browning addresses under what conditions the land in the area was to be allotted.


Rifle Firing Assemblage from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Rifle Firing Assemblage from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
This plate, trigger and trigger guard was collected from the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The artifact was cleaned by electrolysis which passes an electrical current through a liquid solution to separate the rust from the artifact. The Canville Trading Post was located near the Osage Reservation in Neosho County. The post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Stone burr, White Hair's village, Neosho County, Kansas

Stone burr, White Hair's village, Neosho County, Kansas
Date: Between 1815 and 1829
This photograph shows a stone burr from the grist mill at White Hair's village. The Great Osage Tribe established the town around 1815 on the Neosho River about four miles south of present-day Shaw, Neosho County, Kansas.


Tableware Maker's Marks from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Tableware Maker's Marks from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
Tableware sherds found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. The sherds show the maker's marks of potteries of J. & G. Meakins, Shedd & Turner, Thomas Hughes and Sons (also showing their Sitka pattern), and Liddle, Elliot & Son. One sherd marked with the word 'Eturia' may possibly be from the Wedgewood potteries. The name of one importer is also shown: Chauncey J. Filley. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


Thimbles from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396

Thimbles from the Canville Trading Post, 14NO396
Date: 1847-1872
These brass thimbles were found at the Canville Trading Post in Neosho County near the Osage Reservation. They were donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1994. Thimbles were worn to protect the finger while pushing through a needle during sewing. The Canville Trading Post was established in 1847 by A. B. Canville. When the Osage reservation land was ceded to the United States in 1870, the Osage left for Oklahoma and Canville followed in 1872.


United States versus James Calloway for horse stealing on Osage Indian land

United States versus James Calloway for horse stealing on Osage Indian land
Date: 1860
This indictment, filed on May 17, 1860, was issued by the Third District Court of the Kansas Territory for James Calloway. Calloway was accused of stealing five horses from members of the Osage Tribe on July 1, 1859 on Osage Tribal Land in the Kansas Territory. During the mid-19th century, the Osage Reservation was located in what is now southeast Kansas.


United States versus Squire Calloway for horse stealing on Osage land

United States versus Squire Calloway for horse stealing on Osage land
Date: 1860
This indictment, filed on May 17, 1860, was issued by the Third District Court of the Kansas Territory for Squire Calloway. Calloway was accused of stealing five horses from members of the Osage Tribe on December 1, 1858 on Osage Tribal Land in the Kansas Territory. During the mid-19th century, the Osage Reservation was located in what is now southeast Kansas.


United States versus William Donahue and William Owens for taking Osage property

United States versus William Donahue and William Owens for taking Osage property
Date: May 1860
This indictment of William Donahue and William Owens was issued by the Third District Court of the Kansas Territory in Fort Scott during the May term of 1860. Donahue and Owens were accused of stealing a mule from an unknown member of the Osage Tribe on July 20, 1859 from Osage Tribal Land in the Kansas Territory. In the mid 19th-century, the Osage Lands were located directly west of present-day Crawford and Cherokee counties in southeast Kansas.


Showing 1 - 17

Copyright © 2007-2021 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.