Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Boot Hill Cemetery, Hays, Kansas Boot Hill Cemetery, Hays, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 732,313
Bookbag items: 38,119
Registered users: 11,696

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 5

Category Filters

Home and Family - Daily life - Household equipment - Kitchen utensils - Silverware

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


A study made of 719 rural rehabilitation families relative to their standard of living

A study made of 719 rural rehabilitation families relative to their standard of living
Creator: Kansas Emergency Relief Committee
Date: 1935
This study was compiled by Conie Foote, supervisor of home economics, and her county home advisers. The report includes an introductory note from Foote, who states that the goal of this study is to provide the rural rehabilitation program with essential information about the needs of relief clients during the Dust Bowl years. The study addresses several questions, including: "What is the present standard of living of the families making application for rural rehabilitation loans? Is there a standard below which a family cannot live and maintain health and efficiency?" To answer these questions, the report includes statistics, such as charts documenting housing conditions, the number of applicants in each household, the items of household equipment required by relief families, and the number of persons needing medical care.


Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway's Scout dining car

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway's Scout dining car
Creator: Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway Company
Date: Between 1950 and 1959
A photograph showing china used on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway's Scout dining car.


Flatware from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316

Flatware from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station, 14WH316
Date: 1857-1941
This knife and fork were recovered from the Hollenberg Pony Express Station in Washington County in 1991. They were found below the station and may have been lost anytime during the buildings use as a home or station. The knife has lost all of its wooden handle, but the fork still retains traces of its wooden handle. The Hollenberg Pony Express Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, and earlier, as a National Historic Landmark in 1961.


Silver or metal pieces display

Silver or metal pieces display
Creator: United States. Works Progress Administration
Date: Between 1935 and 1943
Display of silver or metal plates, bowls, and utensils made by workers in the Works Progress Administration crafts program.


Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Souvenir Spoon from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: 1891
This small souvenir spoon was recovered during excavations at the 2018 Kansas Archeology Training Program at the Kaw Mission. The spoon has "HELENA MONT" etched into the front of the bowl. On the back are the sterling silver marks for Gorham Silver (later Gorham Manufacturing Co.) of Rhode Island and New York in addition to the word "COPYRIGHTED." Also on the back are the etched initials "AGH," thought to be those of Anna Goddard Huffaker (Mrs. Homer Carpenter). Anna was the daughter of Eliza Ann Baker Huffaker and Thomas Sears Huffaker, director of school at the Kaw Mission. In 1891 she attended the wedding of her brother in Helena, Montana. The site, now called the Kaw Mission State Historic Site, was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951.


Showing 1 - 5

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.