Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

Winter 1977, Volume 43, Number 4

-

Random Item

Jerry and Lee Cox, Anthony, Kansas Jerry and Lee Cox, Anthony, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 636,157
Bookbag items: 37,353
Registered users: 11,353

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 13

Category Filters

Environment - Water - Reservoirs - Clinton Lake

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 13 of 13 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1889
This black and white photograph shows the storefronts on the north side of Board Street in Richland, Kansas. The only sign on the businesses designates the Post Office. Founded in 1854, the town was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows storefronts in Richland, Kansas. The businesses are identified from left to right as the following: the barbershop, the groceries and meat market and a unidentified business. The town of Richland was founded in 1854 and was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town was abandon when the Corps of Engineers acquired land for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Broken pavement is the only remnant of Richland that remains.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows the storefronts in Richland, Kansas. The businesses are identified from left to right as the following: the barbershop and the groceries and meat market. The town of Richland was founded in 1854 and was located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1880 and 1890
This black and white photograph shows a group of people standing in front of businesses in Richland, Kansas. Founded in 1854, the town was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Businesses in Richland, Kansas

Businesses in Richland, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows the storefronts in Richland, Kansas. The businesses are identified from left to right as the following: the barbershop, the grocery and meat market and a unidentified business. Founded in 1854, the town was located in Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Post Office, Richland, Kansas

Post Office, Richland, Kansas
Date: 1957
This black and white photograph shows the post office in Richland, Kansas. The two-story wooden structure closed for business on October 31, 1969, when the town, located along the Wakarusa River in the Monmouth Township in Shawnee County, became a part of the flood plain for Clinton Lake. Today, the only reminder of Richland is the broken pavement that once covered the streets.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1880s and 1890s
This black and white photograph shows a street scene in Richland, Kansas. The town was founded in 1854 and located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement is the only remnant of the former town.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: 1880s and 1890s
This black and white photograph shows a birds-eye view of Richland, Kansas. Founded in 1854, the town was located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1950s and 1960s
This aerial view shows Richland, Kansas. The town was founded, 1854, in the Monmouth Township along the Wakarusa River in Shawnee County. In the late 1960's and early 1970's, Richland was abandoned when the Army Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the only visible reminders of the town is broken pavement which once covered the town's streets.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1900 and 1919
This black and white photograph shows a street scene in Richland, Kansas. The town was founded in 1854 and was located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Richland was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County.


Richland, Kansas

Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1900s and 1919s
This black and white photograph shows storefronts on the south side of Broad Street in Richland, Kansas. The town founded ,in 1854, was located in Monmouth Township along the Wakarusa River. In the late 1960's and early 1970's, Richland was abandoned when the Army Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the only remainders of the town is the broken pavement which once covered the streets.


United Brethren Church, Richland, Kansas

United Brethren Church, Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1888 and 1950
This black and white photograph shows the United Brethren Church in Richland, Kansas. Built in 1888 on the east side of town on Board Street, the church closed it's doors on May 28, 1967. In the late 1960s and early 1970s the town of Richland, located in the Monmouth Township in the southeast corner of Shawnee County along the Wakarusa River, was abandon when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County. Today, the broken pavement that once covered the streets is the only remnant of the town.


United Brethren Church, Richland, Kansas

United Brethren Church, Richland, Kansas
Date: Between 1880s and 1960s
This black and white photograph shows the United Brethren Church in Richland, Kansas. The church was built in 1888 on Board Street, and served the community for a number of years until it closed its doors on May 28, 1967. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, the town of Richland, which was located in Monmouth Township, Shawnee County, was abandoned when the Corps of Engineers acquired land in the area for the flood plain of Clinton Lake in nearby Douglas County.


Showing 1 - 13

Copyright © 2007-2020 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.