Kansas MemoryKansas Memory

Kansas Historical SocietyKansas Historical Society

Narrow your results

1840s (1)
1850s (2)
1854-1860 (2)
1861-1869 (4)
1890s (2)
1900s (2)
1910s (2)
1930s (3)
1940s (2)
1950s (1)
1960s (1)
1980s (1)
2000s (1)

-

Log In

Username:

Password:

After login, go to:

Register
Forgot Username?
Forgot Password?

Browse Users
Contact us

-

Martha Farnsworth

-

Podcast Archive

Governor Mike Hayden Interview
Details
Listen Now
Subscribe - iTunesSubscribe - RSS

More podcasts

-

Popular Item

undated 1977 (Box 49, Folder 4)

-

Random Item

Old settlers parade and picnic, Cimarron, Kansas Old settlers parade and picnic, Cimarron, Kansas

-

Site Statistics

Total images: 597,316
Bookbag items: 35,871
Registered users: 10,933

-

About

Kansas Memory has been created by the Kansas State Historical Society to share its historical collections via the Internet. Read more.

-

Syndication

Matching items: 26

Category Filters

Home and Family - Daily life - Food and Cooking - Meal preparation

Search within these results


       

Search Tips

Start Over | RSS Feed RSS Feed

View: Image Only | Title Only | Detailed
Sort by: TitleSort by Title, Ascending | Date | Creator | Newest

Showing 1 - 25 of 26 (results per page: 10 | 25 | 50)
Next Page >


A wilderness Family

A wilderness Family
Creator: Albert D. Richardson
Date: 1867
This is a sketch of a "Wilderness Family" from Albert D. Richardson from "Beyond the Mississippi" (German edition).


Baking rolls and pies

Baking rolls and pies
Creator: United States. Works Progress Administration
Date: Between 1935 and 1943
Women baking dinner rolls and pies using a gas stove. This activity was part of the Works Progress Administration's domestic science and foods program.


Barbecue in Linn County, Kansas

Barbecue in Linn County, Kansas
Creator: Williams Photo. Co. K.C.
Date: 1916
This sepia colored photograph shows a group of people gathered behind a barbecue pit, as large pieces of meat are being cooked, in Linn County, Kansas.


Butter Pats from Grinter Place, 14WY316

Butter Pats from Grinter Place, 14WY316
Date: 1855-1950
These five butter pats were recovered from the Grinter House in Wyandotte County. Butter pats are often mistaken for children's toy dishes, but they are meant to hold individual servings of butter. These were made by Haviland and Co., of Limoges, France. The Grinter House is a two-story brick home overlooking the Delaware Crossing on the Kansas River, and is in the National Register of Historic Places. Moses and Annie Grinter (she was a Lenape Delaware) owned and operated a ferry and trading post there. Grinter Place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Chuck wagon and cook in Seward County, Kansas

Chuck wagon and cook in Seward County, Kansas
Creator: Reid, Hal
Date: Between 1905 and 1910
This is a postcard showing a cattle drive cook standing by a chuck wagon with pots, pans, and blankets on the ground. The photograph was probably taken in the vicinity of Liberal, Kansas.


Cordelia Froetschner, Kinsley, Kansas

Cordelia Froetschner, Kinsley, Kansas
Creator: Froetschner, Cordelia Anna Marie (Gall)
Date: September 28, 2009
These letters and photographs of Cordelia Froetschner were shared as part of an oral history project entitled "Patchwork of Dependency: The Effects of WWII on Edwards County, Kansas" conducted by the Kinsley Public Library. The project was supported by a Kansas Humanities Council Heritage Grant. Included is a letter from relatives in Germany, family photographs, and a newspaper article from the Edwards County Sentinel detailing Cordelia's yearly making of Pfefferneusse and Schnitzbrot.


Cup from a Johnson County Dump, 14JO492

Cup from a Johnson County Dump, 14JO492
Date: 1920-1950
This cup, among other artifacts, was collected from a historic dump in Johnson County that was being undercut by the Kaw River. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 2005. Once an attractive cup, after years of placement next to metal items the cup now has rusty stains marring its floral design and gold trimmed rim.


DeDonder family holiday dinner

DeDonder family holiday dinner
Date: Between 1950 and 1955
This is a photo of the DeDonder family women fixing a holiday dinner. Left to right: Cecelia (Sue) DeDonder Noonan, Mildred Zeller, Anna DeDonder, Anita DeDonder Ingenthron, Margaret (Margy or Peg) DeDonder Kelley, Louise Zeller Dedonder (Mrs. Philip), Agnes DeDonder Huntsman.


Dish with Maker's Mark from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367

Dish with Maker's Mark from the Last Chance Store, 14MO367
Date: 1850-1861
This fragment of a dish, either a plate or a saucer, was recovered during the archeological monitoring of the Last Chance Store in Council Grove in 2016. On the bottom of the dish the nearly complete maker's mark from potter John Alcock is shown. John Alcock operated his pottery in Cobridge, Staffordshire, England from 1850 until 1861. Additional advertising on the dish notes the piece to be "Imperial Ironstone China." The Last Chance Store was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Enamelware Pan from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368

Enamelware Pan from the Kaw Mission, 14MO368
Date: Unknown
This complete enamelware pan is decorated in a style called spatterware. The pan is coated with enamel, which when fired created a non-porous glaze on the surface, enabling easier clean up. Enamelware cookware was popular in the 19th century. The one quart sized pan was discovered during a metal detector survey in 2016 at the Kaw Mission in Council Grove by Kansas Historical Society archeologists and volunteers. The Mission was built over the winter of 1850 - 1851 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a school for boys in the Kaw (or Kansa) tribe. The site was acquired by the state of Kansas in 1951 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.


Fiesta Mexicana, Topeka, Kansas

Fiesta Mexicana, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: Topeka Daily Capital
Date: July 18, 1968
This black and white photograph shows the Ladies from Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church preparing tacos, enchiladas, and tostadas for the annual Fiesta Mexicana in Topeka, Kansas. The ladies have been identified from left to right as: Mrs. Joseph Chavez from St. Paul, Minnesota, Mrs. Helen Chavez, and Mrs. Nate Morales both from Topeka, Kansas.


Food service at the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kansas

Food service at the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kansas
Date: Between 1984 and 1989
This photograph shows two food service workers frying chicken for the staff and patients at the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kansas.


Housekeeping aides, Topeka, Kansas

Housekeeping aides, Topeka, Kansas
Creator: United States. Works Progress Administration
Date: Between 1935 and 1943
Photo of two African American women preparing food in Topeka, Kansas, as part of the Works Progress Administration's domestic science and foods project.


James Griffing to J. Augusta Goodrich Griffing

James Griffing to J. Augusta Goodrich Griffing
Creator: Griffing, James S. (James Sayre), 1822-1882
Date: July 28, 1859
James Griffing wrote from Topeka, Kansas Territory, to his wife J. Augusta (Goodrich) Griffing. Mrs. Griffing was visiting her family in New York for the first time since her arrival in the Kansas Territory in 1855. Griffing described his efforts to perform household chores in his wife's absence, including cooking, milking the cow, churning butter, doing the laundry, butchering chickens, and gardening.


James Griffing to J. Augusta Goodrich Griffing

James Griffing to J. Augusta Goodrich Griffing
Creator: Griffing, James S. (James Sayre), 1822-1882
Date: August 7, 1859
James Griffing wrote from Topeka, Kansas Territory, to his wife J. Augusta (Goodrich) Griffing. Mrs. Griffing was visiting her family in New York for the first time since her arrival in the Kansas Territory in 1855. Griffing described his daily activities, including his efforts to protect his chickens from "polecats," to gather wild grapes, and to prepare his own meals.


Kansas Girls Industrial School. Graduating into society

Kansas Girls Industrial School. Graduating into society
Date: 1938
This silent film documents the State Industrial School for Girls in Beloit, Kansas, and depicts every aspect of the school's educational, vocational, and boarding programs. The Women's Christian Temperance Union established the school in 1889 and it was later acquired by the state. The purpose of the school was to reform economically or socially disadvantaged girls between twelve and sixteen years old. The school taught sewing, weaving, cooking, gardening and horticulture, wood carving, clay modeling, and the general duties of the household. The film showcases the following programs and activities: healthcare and hospital, housework, laundry, sewing, bakery, cooking, religious instruction, student government, dancing, table tennis, roller skating, Independence Day parade, flag drill, folk dance, track and field, and patriotic instruction. At the time the film was made the school included seven housing units (or cottages), a schoolhouse and farm buildings on 200 acres. Directed by Grace A. Miles. Photographed by Joseph A. Thompson.


Kansas State Agricultural College, Manhattan, Kansas

Kansas State Agricultural College, Manhattan, Kansas
Creator: Orr, S. C.
Date: 1890
These women are enrolled in a cooking class at Kansas State Agricultural College, Manhattan, Kansas.


L. W. Halbe collection

L. W. Halbe collection
Creator: Halbe, L. W. (Leslie Winfield), 1893-1981
Date: 1908-1912
The L. W. (Leslie Winfield) Halbe photo collection consists of 1500 glass plate negatives produced by Halbe during his teenage years. Halbe lived in Dorrance, Russell County, Kansas, and began taking photographs of the region with an inexpensive Sears and Roebuck camera when he was fifteen years old.


Mano and Nutting Stone from the Curry Site, 14GR301

Mano and Nutting Stone from the Curry Site, 14GR301
Date: 1200-1400 CE
This combination mano and nutting stone, was recovered from the Curry site and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1984. One side of this ground stone tool served as the topmost millstone for grinding foods by hand on a grinding stone. The other side of the tool served as a nutting stone, used for securing a nut while it was being cracked open. Groundstone tools like this one are made by pecking a hard stone into a rough shape and then grinding and polishing it into its final state. The Curry site is a multicomponent (multiple occupations) village site in Greenwood County.


Mano from 14MY342

Mano from 14MY342
Date: 2000 BCE-1500 CE
This small mano was recovered from a site in Montgomery County with occupations in the Archaic, Early Ceramic, and Middle Ceramic periods. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1972. Manos were likely used as the upper hand-held millstone for grinding foods and pigments.


Mixing Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701

Mixing Bowl from the Baker House, 14MO701
Date: 1862
This reconstructed mixing bowl was recovered during excavations in 1972-1973 by the Kansas State Teacher's College (now Emporia State University) archeological field schools. The gray and brown stoneware mixing bowl was reconstructed by students at the field school in 1972 or 1973. It was donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1993. The archeological site, along the Santa Fe Trail in Morris County, was the location of the Baker House, which burned in 1862, along with the nearby store, during the murder of A.I. Baker.


Nutting Stone from the Wullscheleger Site, 14MH301

Nutting Stone from the Wullscheleger Site, 14MH301
Date: 1-1800 CE
This fragment of sandstone has indentations on both ends that suggest it was used as a nutting stone. Sometimes named anvil stones, cupstones, or pitted stones, artifacts such as this one are thought to hold a nut in place while the nutshell is cracked. It was collected from the Wullscheleger site in Marshall County and donated to the Kansas Historical Society in 1961. The site was occupied periodically throughout the Early, Middle and Late Ceramic periods.


Spongeware Mixing Bowl from Quindaro

Spongeware Mixing Bowl from Quindaro
Date: 1857-1862
Much of this mixing bowl was recovered when the Quindaro townsite was excavated in the 1980s. The whiteware bowl is decorated with two panels of blue spongeware design bordered by blue lines. Spongeware is the decorative technique created using a sponge or sponge-like material to apply a colored glaze onto piece. It was first used in 1820, but was most popular between 1850 to 1890.


Whiteware Bowl from Quindaro

Whiteware Bowl from Quindaro
Date: 1849-1865
This plain white bowl, recovered from Quindaro in Wyandotte County during excavations in the 1980s, was actually quite well traveled. It was manufactured in England for and imported by E. A. and S. R. Filley of St. Louis, Missouri. We know this from their maker's mark, which was printed on the back side of the dish. After it broke and was discarded, archeologists recovered the widely scattered pieces and were able to reconstruct most of the dish.


Whiteware Plates from Quindaro

Whiteware Plates from Quindaro
Date: 1849-1865
These two plain whiteware dishes were recovered from excavations at Quindaro in Wyandotte County. Archeologists found the pieces widely separated and reconstructed the plates. The dinner plate was actually quite well traveled, as it was manufactured in England for and imported by E. A. and S. R. Filley of St. Louis, Missouri. We know this from their maker's mark, which was printed on the back side of the dish.


Showing 1 - 25
Next Page >

Copyright © 2007-2019 - Kansas Historical Society - Contact Us
This website was developed in part with funding provided by the Information Network of Kansas.